By Robert Damon Schneck
There's a wild and bizarre facet to America's prior, packed with unknown creatures, weird and wonderful happenings, and fantastical figures. Researcher and author Robert Damon Schneck has spent greater than a decade dedicated to sleuthing out those forgotten bizarre, ugly, and mysterious gemstones of yankee heritage, like:
• the fellow who preached sturdy healthiness via blood-drinking.
• The California kinfolk pushed insane through Ouija board séances, and the nationwide panic that they ignited
• The West Virginia city named after its resident poltergeist, who was once keen about slicing every little thing into crescent shapes.
• The Antichrist-obsessed cult chief whose disciples grew to become brutal murderers, all within the identify of saving her (and the world).
You’ll additionally find out about selfmade guillotines, magical ape-men on Mt. St. Helens, the psychic who smuggled a crystal ball into the White residence, and the origins of these baffling sleek bogeys, evil clowns using vans.
These traditionally researched, scrupulously confirmed, and regularly shockingly precise stories during this assortment come from an the US that lies past the skyscrapers, cornfields, and suburban strip department shops the place we make our homes—a position the place monsters safeguard buried treasures, schoolgirls improve stigmata, and we by no means run out of odd things.
Read Online or Download Mrs. Wakeman vs. the Antichrist: And Other Strange-but-True Tales from American History PDF
Best american history books
Within the identify Of Allah: A heritage of Clarence 13X and The 5 Percenters is the 1st definitive heritage each written approximately this robust formative years circulate. hundreds of thousands of younger Blacks and Latinos have pledged allegiance to the philosophy of the 5 Percenters. Their impression has permeated in the course of the streets of city the US, the college process, rap tune and the penal associations.
Unique Las Vegas confronted stiff odds with fluctuating fortunes in the course of the twentieth century. Celebrated because the McWilliams Townsite in 1904, Las Vegas�s first enterprise used to be fast beaten via savvy builders possessing lots of the water rights at the southeast facet of the railroad tracks. disadvantaged of assets and providers, the tent-riddled floor quickly earned the identify Ragtown and used to be populated through the area�s poorest, the bulk being minorities.
Battles, Blood, Honor, and HeroismThe nation’s highest-casualty, bloodiest battle continues to be mentioned, studied, and acted out. It keeps to impact the political limitations of this present day. From the commercial, political, and social forces at the back of the clash, during the first photographs fired at castle Sumter, the army recommendations, battles, and folks, and from Lee’s quit at Appomattox to the Southern reconstruction and glossy aftermath, The convenient Civil conflict solution booklet is a charming, concise, and handy background of America’s defining clash.
Set within the days of small, neighborhood banks while embarrassing marketers have been the single kinfolk on the town who obtained a brand new automobile each year—those autos everybody else referred to as ‘gunboats—and the undesirable men got here with black hats, this rollicking send-up of silly criminals who even Barnie Fife may have outwitted makes for belly-laughs whereas examining and stories that may carry smiles to readers’ faces.
- Cottage Grove (Images of America)
- At the End of the Road, the Journey Begins
- Llewellyn Castle: A Worker's Cooperative on the Great Plains
- Great Falls of Paterson (Images of America)
- Women Writers and Journalists in the Nineteenth-Century South (Cambridge Studies on the American South)
- Becoming Confederates: Paths to a New National Loyalty (Mercer University Lamar Memorial Lectures)
Additional resources for Mrs. Wakeman vs. the Antichrist: And Other Strange-but-True Tales from American History
Mrs. Wakeman vs. the Antichrist: And Other Strange-but-True Tales from American History by Robert Damon Schneck